top of page

Planning and Zoning
Code Enforcement

Our mission is to uphold the standards and regulations that keep our community safe and maintain our property values. We believe that everyone has a right to safe and pleasant living conditions, and we are committed to ensuring that our city continues to be a great place to live and work. The Code Enforcement Officer/Planning Administrator is here to help you with all your needs related to building permits, zoning questions, variance requests, and ordinance enforcement.

Planning and Zoning Administrator/Code Enforcement Officer

Dan Furness

(605) 842-2606 Option #4


Latest Information
Planning and Zoning Commission

Byron Foreman, Chairman

Kathleen Trandahl

Luke Littau

Jeff Ferwerda

Jim Day

Printable Forms
Board of Appeals

Blake Tideman

Mary Carpenter

Matt Krogman

Craig Curtis

Brian Schrader

Craig Schaeffer

Patty Novak

Steve Nielsen

When is a building permit required?

Section 105.1 of the Building Code requires all construction, repair, demolition or moving of structures, including electrical, mechanical and plumbing to obtain a permit.  However, some work is exempt, which includes the following:


  1. Retaining walls, which are 2 feet or less in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.

  2. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio or height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

  3. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

  4. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.

  5. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, which are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.

  6. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one and two family dwellings.

  7. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of group R-3, as applicable in Section 101.2 and Group C occupancies.

  8. Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over five (5) feet nine (9) inches in height.

  9. Oil derricks.

  10. Shingling, re-roofing of existing one and two family dwellings, siding and replacing windows.

Building New House Frame

City of Winner

Spruce Up Project

The City of Winner is continuing the Spruce Up Winner program.  The program helps owners to remove unwanted/dilapidated structures.  It is a cost-sharing program where the owner pays for the demolition, loading of the debris, and the capping of the utilities; and the City removes the debris and hauls back fill material in for the contractor to use in leveling off the lot.  The program is available for commercial and residential property.  The work must be scheduled when City crews are available and that time is limited.  Additional information and the required agreement are available at the Planning and Zoning Office, 325 S Monroe St, or you can call 842-2606.


The City will disconnect the power and attempt to shut the curb stop off.  If the City cannot shut the curb stop off, the owner will have to have the contractor dig it up and shut it off.


The following items must be removed from the structure before it is demolished and loaded to be hauled to the City of Winner Landfill:

  1. Household trash (all items normal placed out for trash pickup)

  2. Plastic items (televisions, etc.)

  3. All metal items

  4. Major appliances (furnaces, hot water heaters, stoves, freezers, refrigerators, and air conditioning units) (*freezers, refrigerators, and air conditioning units must have the Freon removed and tagged in order to be accepted at the landfill*) The major appliances may be left on site to be hauled to the landfill.



Dan Furness

Planning and Zoning

(605) 842-2606

Tripp and Todd County

GIS Data

Follow the link below to view Tripp and Todd County GIS mapping. 

Screenshot 2024-03-14 112928.png
bottom of page